Thursday, April 5, 2012

Turnaround

I feel that I am finally adjusting to being a mommy of two. The past several weeks have been hard, but things are looking up. I don't want to jinx it, but I am calling it the "turnaround" point. Here are a few things that I am extremely grateful for: 
  • Emerson is starting to take the paci
  • He is also starting to take the bottle
  • I am grateful for the swing! We put him to sleep in the swing now, which has eliminated me needing to rock him to sleep, which has led to more sleep for me, which means I am happier, less cranky, and less emotional :)
  • Ophelia has been such a good big sister and so patient when I need to do things for the baby
  • PBS kids. It saves me when I need to keep the big sister quiet for a while :)
  • Both Emerson and my body are finally adjusted to breastfeeding. He is handling the forceful let down very well now and my breastfeeding apparatus is finally healed :)
  • I am grateful for Grandma and Grandpa, who have taken Ophelia down to their place for another week, which helped me to get more rest, to feel more relaxed, and to spend more quality time with the baby
  • For awesome friends who have been offering lots of help to me. Just this past Monday Ophelia got to go to the Zoo with her best buddies, Raine and Carter, and their mommy, while I stayed at home and had time to eat breakfast in peace and take a much needed shower. Or Mindy, showing up at my doorstep with a loaf of fresh baked bread and honey. And others who are ready to take Ophelia any second to give me a break.
  • For my husband, who is always thinking of solutions to problems :) like putting the swing in the room or propping Emerson with pillow in the cradle so he can sleep on his side
  • For the book club with my friends. We just finished reading "Unbroken", which is an amazing book. Based on a true story, with lots of disturbing facts and reality of WWII, but it is full of hope, faith, and positive messages in the end. Loved it! Also loved hanging out with my friends to talk about it. 
  • Emerson's smiles! He is starting to give conscious smiles to people and I love to receive them whenever I can :) Those beautiful blue eyes get all squinty and his whole face just lights up with a smile, it's the best! 
  • I am grateful for Ophelia making us smile and laugh out loud every day. She is definitely a hoot. All the things that come out of her mouth just amaze me. She is so good at communicating and at letting us know exactly what she needs, wants, or sees around her. The best latest thing that she did...so funny...PJ and I got her ready for bed - clean diaper, brushed teeth, onesie with crotch snaps, pijama pants. We said our family prayer,put her down for the night and put in a movie for us to watch. All was quiet for a good hour. Then suddenly Ophelia's room door opens and she steps out completely naked! She looks at us and says, as if surprised, and completely serious: "Hey, where are my clothes, guys?" :) :) That is a good question! We could barely keep from dying laughing while putting on a new diaper and pijamas. The funny thing is that the crotch snaps on her onesie where still snapped, she till it off though the neck opening. So crazy!
Here are some pictures from the past month. Grandma with Ophelia, playing with beads that aunt Judy gave her. Morning hair!


My two little monkeys:



Another set of two little monkeys:


All swaddled up, cozy in the swing:


Potty training continues, with no luck... She can sit there for hours and do nothing, then put on a clean diaper and unload immediately... We haven't given up yet, but it is getting frustrating!


Here are pictures from the baby blessing. We had Mark, Camille, and Winston visiting us for a day. Then Grandma and Grandpa came on Sunday too. It was a beautiful day and a beautiful blessing! Baby Winston napping:


The cousins hanging out :)





With Grandparents:


Uncies and nephews :)


Newest family additions:


And the whole fam! Getting big :)


Some snapshots of my cute little chubby man:



The smile is hard to catch, but here is a try:


4 comments:

  1. I like this turnaround! Many thanks to Grandma and Grandpa. Hopefully we will be able to easy your burden in October as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog...guess we missed the blessing pictures...You did get his smile though and I'm so glad things are starting to turnaround for you. Potty training will come...sometimes it just takes time...she'll get it. Looks like it's time to change your profile picture...new additions tend to cause changes!!! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete