In September we went to our new pediatrician, Dr. Spencer for Ophelia's 3-year check up and Emerson's 6 month check up. I was a little anxious to go with two kids all by myself, but it actually went pretty smooth... apart from Ophelia having to poop and pee right before we were called by the nurse...I guess it's better that she went potty at the doctor's office, rather than having an accident there! Ophelia amazed the doctor with her verbal skills (no surprise there!). Dr. Spencer said that at her age, strangers should be able to understand about 75% of what is said, but with her, one can understand 100%. She is a great communicator, that's for sure, we just have to work on manners and social cues now :) She has no issues telling exactly what she sees, thinks, or feels. The doctor made a joke to Ophelia, while examining her, to which she responded with a smile: "You're such a silly little doctor!".
At 3 years of age, Ophelia is 36 inches and 28.6 pounds, which is 20% for height and 35% for weight, which means she is a proportionally petite little girl. She loves eating desserts, plain butter, pasta, and (as we found out yesterday) chicken skin, so I know she gets plenty of calories. To redeem myself as a dietitian, she does eat lots of fruits and vegetables (her faves are cucumbers, broccoli, fresh spinach, and carrots), she loves pasta, rice, and soups.
At 7 months of age, Emerson was 26 inches, 18.2 pounds, and with a 44.25 inches head circumference, which puts him in 10% for height, 50% for weight, and above 95% for head...which means he is a little chubby guy with a huge head!
I am working on transitioning Emerson to eat more table foods. He is doing really good with grabbing finger foods and putting them in his mouth, he is mastering a sippy cup, and he likes pureed fruit. He is sitting up really well now and is getting better and better and standing on his little chubby legs. He is totally becoming a little boy as he loves shaking and banging his toys, loud noises, and making messes. I am noticing a difference between him and Ophelia for sure. The other day, I was loudly chopping onions on my slap chop. I turned around to look at the kids: Ophelia was frozen with terror from the noise and Emerson had the biggest smile on his face :)
One of my new friends, Amy, gave us this bike trailer, so we took advance of a nice cool Saturday morning and took the kids on a ride. Ophelia entertained us with her running commentary on the passer-bys. When she saw a jogger with only shorts on, she loudly said: "Hey look! He is a nakey boy!". When a jogger with a thick dark beard passed by, she said: "He looks like a bear!" We love our little girl :) She is our little entertainer. She also asks "why?" all the time...Growing smarter and more curious every day.
Took some snapshots of the kids when we made a little stop at a pedestrian bridge on the bike path.
This one is my favorite! The kids look very alike on this one. You can tell that they have the same parents :)
I love his crinkle nose!
And the chubby feet!
So, I am attempting to grow a fall garden. Still not sure if it's worth all the trouble and money...but I haven't harvested anything yet. My broccoli officially died, so no garden broccoli this year. I am fighting with ants and caterpillars to keep my tomato, peas, and cucumber plants alive. So far I am winning! There are three green tomatoes that I counted this morning!
A couple more Ophelia-isms:
* Random statements like these come out of her mouth, completely unrelated to any previous conversations:
- Sometimes people stand.
- Lions drink water.
* A month ago, we went to a birthday party for a 5-year old boy, named Matthew, he is my friend's Olya son. We see them at the library often too. A couple of weeks ago we went for dinner to a family in our ward. The dad's name is Matthew. Ophelia knocked on the door, the dad opened it, so after saying hello, she asked: "What is your name?". He responded: "My name is Matthew." Fascinated, Ophelia asked him in reply: "Did you growed up?"
As soon as you figure out how to curb the continuous commentary on passers-by please let me know because Raine does the exact same thing. "Mommy, that guy is naked!" (No, just shirtless.) "Mommy, that lady is going to have a baby." (No, she is obviously well past childbearing age and is just carrying some extra weight.) I'm always shushing her and thinking, "I hope they didn't hear that."
ReplyDeleteAh, kids!!