Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Ophelia-isms

I have been saving little gems coming out of Ophelia's mouth for a while now, so I better write them down before she moves on to the next stage of her development. I don't mean to brag...but our child is an amazing communicator! She learn words, phrases, expressions at the speed of light. Her speech is so clear and pronunciation is getting better without us ever correcting her (like saying beTTer instead of beLLer). Her grammar is so right on too. I just can't believe she is only 2 years and 5 months old as of today. Here is a collection of random things that we get to hear, laugh about, and enjoy on a daily basis:

*October 2011. For a while Ophelia liked to re-ask the things that we would say: "What did you say, mama?" One day we were driving home from the store. I was quiet at this point when all of the sudden Ophelia says: "What did you say, mama? Go to another park?" ... It was her sneaky little way to get me to go to the park, of course, but it was hilarious to me the way she went about asking :) I had to tell her: "No, dochka, I didn't say anything about a park, it is time to go home and make dinner..."

*It cracks us up that Ophelia says "HM?" when she wants us to repeat something. This is a typical conversation after time-out: "Do you know why you're in time-out?" "HM?" "Do you know why you're in time out?" "HM?" "Why are you in time-out?" "Because I didn't listen to papa/mama..." The "hms" come out of her mouth even before the question is finished, which has made PJ start laughing on a couple of occasions :) And then Ophelia asks "What did you say, papa?" And he laughs even more then :)

*October 2011. From dinner conversations: "Are you spicy, papa?" or "Are you tasty, mama?" or "Are you hot, papa?"(to see if whatever we were eating was spicy, tasty or hot).

*November 2011. Phrases she picks up from us: "That's cwayzee, mama!" or in response to me saying "that's crazy!", she says "It IS cwayzee, mama!"

*Novemember 2011. In the kitchen, while I was cooking something: Ophelia runs in, sniffs, and says: "It smells like horse, mama!" I guess the dinner-cooking smells were not very delicious that night :) But on other occasions, she comes up to me, smells my cheek and says "You smell like flowers, mama!" What can I say, she is a very observant and attentive to detail little girl. If you have something out of ordinary on your face - a speck of leftover food, a zit, a bandaid, she will for sure point it out.

*November 2011. Instead of "elevator", Ophelia says "alligator" :)

*December 2011. Little discoveries: "I have two feets, mama!" as she is looking down and pointing at her feet.

*December 2011. Breakfast conversations. Me: "Would you like a pear or an apple? What fruit do you want for dessert?" Ophelia: "Actually....candy!" :) :) :) Smart girl, what can I say!

*Christmastime 2011. Grandpa is the one on early morning duty when Ophelia wakes up before we are ready to get up, so they play together or watch something together, while everyone else is still sleeping. All the toys were kept in the living room corner opposite of the Christmas tree, to keep the mess more or less contained. One of those mornings, she wanted to play with a toy barn, so she asked Grandpa: "Grandpa, let's play with the farm!" Grandpa: "OK, let's do that." Ophelia: "Grandpa, where is the farm?" Grandpa's response: "It's in the corner." Ophelia runs off, but comes back seconds later: "Where is the corner?" :) :) :) The whole conversation makes perfect sense, it's just funny coming out of a 2-year old's mouth :)

*November-December 2011. Ophelia's favorite game to play with papa: "Let's wun awound the table, papa!". It's fun and all, but not when they decide to play it right before bedtime! She plays pretend play with her toys and makes them play that game too. Here is what I hear: "hey what's you name? my name is Baby, what's your name? My name is Coco. Let's wun awound the table together! OK! I'm gonna gech'ya!" As she rolls her arms around with toys in them :)

*January 2012. Ophelia often switches around words of compund nouns: "Snackfruits", "printfoots", "hopgrasser". For a while when talking about her favorite movie, instead of "Monsters Inc.", she would say "Pink Monsters." Just the other day, when PJ was taking Ophelia to school, they saw a school bus pass by. Ophelia said: "Papa, there is a bus school!" PJ: "You mean a schoolbus?" Ophelia: "It has a sign stop!" :)

*January 22,2012. It's been a dinosaur theme at school, plus we got a Sesame Street DVD on the topic from the library. Somewhere along the way, she learned one of the longest word I've ever heard her say. She said it randomly at the dinner table one night: "paleontologist!" I had her repeat it again, because I couldn't belevie my 2-year old was capable of saying that!

*Jan 29,2012. At church that day, during sacrament, Ophelia announced that she needed to go potty. So I took her out. As we are walking down the hallway, she made sure every single person knew what we were up to: "I'm going potty!" She is still not potty trained...and the whole thing was just so that she can have a little break, sit in the potty, and chat with mama. Mama needs lots of potty breaks these days anyways, so it worked out well :) When we returned to the pew though, she announced in her full voice: "I went poopoo in the potty!" Not true..but I guess she was looking for some reassurance from those sitting around us...and she got it :)

* Same day as we are coming back from church, Ophelia is in the carseat eating fruit snacks. She puts one fruit snack in her doll's eye, covering it, and exclaims: "AGRHH! I'm a pirate!" :)

*Ophelia is starting to try to reason with us these days, just like we reason with her: "Let's have snack first, then take a nap!" or "Let's watch something first, then read scriptures!" I am happy though that she can still be reasoned with the other way and goes along with whatever we have planned for her (generally) :)

*Jan 31,2012. A little fruit fly was flying aroung dinner table, so I tried to get it by clapping my hands together. Ophelia, with a surprised look on her face: "You clapped it, mama!"

No comments:

Post a Comment